CITY OF PARK RAPIDS
JANUARY 28, 2013, 6:00 p.m.
Park Rapids Library, 210 First Street West – Lower Level
1. CALL TO ORDER: The January 28, 2013, Regular Meeting of the Park Rapids Planning Commission was called to order at 6:00 p.m.
2. OATH OF OFFICE OF JOEL VORHES: Chairman Bradow read the Oath of Office of Planning Commissioner to Joel Vorhes, a new member, who recited and executed the oath. The Commissioners welcomed Joel Vorhes.
3. ROLL CALL: Present: Commissioners Dick Bradow, Janice Tidrick, Nels Peterson, Joel Vorhes and City Councilmember Paul Utke. Absent: Diane Smith. Staff Present: City Planner Dan Walker and Planning Secretary Carmen L. Lockhart. Others Present: None.
4. ELECTION OF CHAIRPERSON AND VICE CHAIRPERSON: A motion was made by Tidrick, seconded by Vorhes and unanimously carried to nominate and elect Richard Bradow as Chairperson.
A motion was made by Bradow, seconded by Vorhes and unanimously carried to nominate and elect Nels Peterson as Vice Chairperson.
4A. APPROVAL OF AGENDA: A motion was made by Vorhes, seconded by Peterson, and unanimously carried to approve the agenda with the following changes:
4. Election of Chairperson and Vice Chairperson
4A. Adopt Agenda
5. APPROVAL OF REGULAR PLANNING COMMISSION MINUTES OF NOVEMBER 26, 2012: A motion was made by Peterson, seconded by Bradow and carried to approve the November 26, 2012 Regular Meeting Minutes as presented. Vorhes abstained from voting.
6. GENERAL BUSINESS:
6A. PRESENTATION OF 2012 YEAR END PLANNING DEPARTMENT REPORT:
Walker thanked the Planning Commissioners for volunteering their time and said he is appreciative of having a full commission once again. Walker stated he is always available to answer any questions or address issues with the commissioners and looks forward to working with them.
Walker provided an additional report containing graphs for the number of building permits and valuation of building permits for new residential and commercial construction and building permits for residential and commercial repairs and remodeling, which shows the trends over the years.
Walker advised in 2012 we had 5 conditional use permits, 2 variances, 2 zoning map amendments, 4 zoning ordinance amendments, 2 land divisions and 2 miscellaneous planning items. Walker explained the differences between the number of permits verses the valuation of the permits as they varied over the past years as shown in the graphs and reports.
Walker also provided pictures of other pending projects for the Red Bridge, Trestle Bridge Project, proposed Heartland Trailhead Project with the DNR, parking lot by the Beach House and improvements for Pioneer Park.
6B. DISCUSSION OF PLANNING ITEMS FOR 2013:
Walker advised he would like to work on the following issues through some workshop meetings:
· Complete revisions to the Sign Ordinance
· Complete vacant lot inventory
· Review minimum lot sizes in the R-1 District
· Interim Use Permits
· Update Nuisance Code
· Planning and Zoning Fee Schedule
The commissioners commented on the importance of revising the sign ordinance to make it more user friendly and to address enforcement issues, avoiding variances because of lot sizes, looking at what other communities are doing with signage in the Scenic Byway, interim use permits to allow flexibility, as well as comparing the fee schedule.
Bradow inquired if there is a source of funding for the community signage? Walker stated the City Council did approve $3,000 but is also looking for other sources of funding from people or entities that benefit from the signage.
7. INFORMATIONAL/DISCUSSION: Walker and Bradow thanked and commended Lockhart for all she does for the department.
8. ADJOURNMENT: A motion was made by Vorhes, seconded by Bradow, and unanimously carried to adjourn the meeting at 6:43 p.m.
Chair Dick Bradow
Carmen L. Lockhart