Frequently Asked Questions

Below you will find information about frequently asked questions (FAQ) of the Planning Department. The information provided below is general, and if you have more specific questions, please contact the City Planner at 218-732-3163.

How do I find my lot lines/ property pins?

It is the owner's responsibility for knowing and locating their property lines and corner pins. Property corner pins are typically a /2" —3/4 "round iron pipe located slightly below grade. Property pins can usually be found with a metal detector, and the front property line is generally located 10' behind the curb. Once you have found one pin, you can measure from that point to find the other corner pins. Contact City Staff if you encounter any problems and ALWAYS contact Gopher State One Call at 811 at least 48 hours before you dig.

What zoning district is my property located?

Contact the Planning Department with your address and Property Identification Number (PID) and they will be able to provide the zoning information. A zoning map is also available on the Planning Department Webpage.

Do I need a sign permit?

Sign permits are required for all permanent signage within the City of Park Rapids, including wall, monument and pylon signs. Most temporary signage also requires a permit. Please contact the City Planner with questions before putting up any signage.

Do I need a permit to put up a fence?

A permit is not required to put up a fence. No perimeter fence or screening shall exceed 6 feet in height in residential areas, 8 feet in height in industrial or commercial areas, or 4 feet in height in the front yard. All fences must maintain a 30 foot sight triangle along the right-of-way when placed on corner lots.  You must be able to maintain both sides of the fence. Make sure to find your property lines before constructing a fence. Call Gopher State One Call at 811 before you dig. 

Do I need a permit to pave?

A permit is not required to pave within the City of Park Rapids. Paved areas should provide adequate drainage measures to ensure that all run off is being handled on site and does not create flooding or erosion to adjacent properties. Please contact the City Planner for additional information about required parking stalls for businesses and apartments. Any paved area greater than 1 acre is also required to have additional water retention areas. Contact the City Planner with any questions.

Do I need a permit to construct a shed or garage?  One story detached accessory structures, used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses, and similar uses, provided the floor area does not exceed 200 square feet are exempt from requiring a building permit. However you must contact the City Planner to determine if the placement of it meets the required setbacks for your zoning district. You must know where your property lines are.  Any structure over 200 square feet requires a building permit and site plan. Contact the City Planner with any questions. 

How many garage/yard sales are permitted per year?

Residents are allowed 2 garage sales per calendar year, per household, and each sale shall not last for more than 3 consecutive days.

I have a piece of property that I would like to develop, what do I do?

Prepare a preliminary site/business plan and then contact the City Planner to schedule a meeting with City Staff. City Staff will meet with the developer to review and discuss the plan and make recommendations for further action. Staff will review site and building plans to ensure that they are in conformance with all applicable laws and ordinances. All proposed development plans within the City of Park Rapids are subject to a review process. The process takes approximately 60-90 days for review.

Can I operate a business in my home?

In most residential districts, home occupations are allowed with a Conditional Use Permit. If you would like to have a home occupation, please contact the City Planner for more information about the Conditional Use Permit process. The review process for a home occupation generally takes between 30 -­60 days.

Do I need a building/ plumbing permit?

A building and plumbing permit is required for nearly any construction or remodeling projects. Please contact the Building Official for more information if you are planning on a remodeling project.

I have a home I would like to relocate in the City. Who do I contact?

If you would like to relocate a home within the City of Park Rapids, please contact the Building Official for more information.

Is my property going to be annexed?

The City of Rapids currently has an Orderly Annexation Agreement with Henrietta Township. The annexations will occur in four stages starting in 2007 with the final stage occurring in 2017. A map of the annexation is available on the planning page, or you can contact the City Planner with any questions.